Monday, November 8, 2010

Å sette = To set (Uke 46)

Å sette is the Verb of the Week for Week 46, and it means "to set". Its usage is quite similar to the English word. It is a transitive verb, requiring an object, the thing which is being set.

Å sette should not be confused with å sitte, "to sit". Å sitte is in fact an intransitive verb, and does not require an object: while you "set" something somewhere, you yourself simply "sit".

Here are the conjugations of this irregular verb:

jeg setter = I set/am setting (present tense)
jeg har satt = I have set (present perfect tense)
jeg satte = I set (past tense)
jeg hadde satt = I had set (past perfect)
jeg vil sette = I will set (future)
jeg vil ha sat = I will have set (future perfect)
jeg ville sette = I would set (present conditional)
jeg ville ha satt = I would have set (perfect conditional)

And here are some nyttige uttrykk, some useful expressions:

sette på bordet = set the table
sette til side = set aside, disregard
sette skylden på = put the blame on
sette i gang = start, get started
sette seg ned = sit down
sette bort = subcontract, outsource

Her er min nye sofa! Sett den rett der, gutter.
Here's my new sofa! Set it right there, boys.

Sett ut koppene, Marit, så skal jeg koke kaffen.
Set out the cups, Marit, and I'll make the coffee.

Hvem sett den vått glass på boken min?
Who set that wet glass on my book?

No comments: