Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Å håpe = To hope (Uke 43)

The Verb of the Week is å håpe, "to hope".

jeg håper = I hope (present tense)
jeg har håpet = I have hoped (present perfect)
jeg håpet (occasionally jeg håpte) = I hoped (past)
jeg hadde håpet = I had hoped (past perfect)
jeg vil håpe = I will hope (future)
jeg vil ha håpet = I will have hoped (future perfect)
jeg ville håpe = I would hope (present conditional)
jeg ville ha håpet = I will have hoped (perfect conditional)

Here are some sentences using å håpe:

Kåre håper at Marit ikke vil være på festen i kveld. Det ville være vanskelig.
Kåre is hoping that Marit will not be at the party tonight. That would be awkward.

Jeg hadde håpet å ha disse vottene ferdig før den første snøen. Tja.
I had hoped to get these mittens finished before the first snow. Oh, well.

Er det en edderkopp? Jeg håper ikke det.
Is that a spider? I hope not.

Kjersti! Jeg håpet at jeg ville finne du her!
Kjersti! I hoped I would find you here!

No comments: