Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Å holde = To hold (Uke 42)

En gamle 2CV. (Foto: Egil Eriksson)

Å holde is the Verb of the Week. It means "to hold, to keep". Generally, it is a transitive verb, one that requires both a direct subject and one or more objects -- I don't just hold, for instance, I hold the book. Å holde also has an intransitive form, meaning "to suffice". It is also found with prepositions in a number of Norwegian idiomatic uses.

jeg holder = I hold (present tense)
jeg har holdt = I have held (present perfect tense)
jeg holdt = I held (past)
jeg hadde holdt = I had held (past perfect)
jeg vil holde = I will hold (future)
jeg vil ha holdt = I will have held (future perfect)
jeg ville holde = I would hold (present conditional)
jeg ville ha holdt = I would have held (perfect conditional)

hold an = hold on (stop)
hold av = to love, be fond of
hold igjen = to hold back, restrain, keep shut
hold for = to consider to be, take as being
hold med = to agree, side with
hold opp (med) = to cease, stop
hold opp = to hold up, rob
hold til = to live, stay, have lodgings

Bussen kommer. Hold pengene klar.
The bus is coming. Have your money ready.

Bibliotekaren skal holde av boka for meg til i morgen.
The librarian will hold the book for me until tomorrow.

De holdt et møte, men ingenting ble avgjort.
They held a meeting, but nothing was decided.

Hold fast! Veien er humpete.
Hold on! The road is bumpy.

No comments: